Gingerbread Buttons

Friday, November 23, 2012
I love gingerbread.  Here are 9 previous post and links to projects and recipes from past years, though there are so many...more than nine, I had to create a 'gingerbread' label.  I don't know why.  I don't need to know why. It's a pretty innocent love. So, when I saw this recipe on Peabody's site, and I knew it was speaking my language.  I love gingerbread cookies, but I especially like SOFT gingerbread cookies.  These were easy, and they did not disappoint! 
Gingerbread Button Cookie Recipe
Ingredients:  3 c. flour, 2 t. ginger, 1 t. cinnamon, 1 t. baking soda, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. salt, 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, 3/4 c. packed brown sugar, 1/2 c. molasses, 1 egg, 1/4 c. sugar,.
1 t. vanilla, 1 c. white chocolate chips (I used melting chocolate that comes in round pellets/various colors)
Instructions:  
1.  Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a big bowl.
2.  Beat butter and brown sugar in a bowl with  mixer on med. until light and fluffy (I never got it to be light and fluffy, I had to use a rubber spatula to finish combining it together, maybe my butter wasn't quite soft enough).
3.  Add molasses, egg and vanilla to butter mix and beat well.
4.  Slowly add in flour mixture on low  until well mixed.
5.  Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

6.  Preheat oven to 350°F.
7.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in  sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheets. You should be able to make about 4 dozen cookies.
8.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown.
Quickly  press about 6 white chocolate chips into center of each cookie, or one of the melting chocolate pellets.
Cool and store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days (or so the original instructions say from McCormick, mine didn't last two days).

No comments