Halloween Shortbread Cookies

Sunday, October 21, 2018
 These last few years have been a doozy.  I'm dragging behind on all things holidays right now, but I'm trying to check a few things off my to do list for sanity sake.  I bought these little black boxes two years ago at Michael's.  Two years.  I wanted to make a little Halloween or New Year's treat, but then life happened.  Add to that this recipe for short bread cookies I saw last year on Food Network I've been wanting to try and today I set aside some time.  I do love a decorated iced cookie, but the great thing about these is they are just glazed, so.....that was tonights plan.
 The cookies are really simple to make, and the icing glaze hardens on top, and the cookie literally  melts in your mouth.  I used cookie cutters my pal Kelly gave me from Sur La Table and they fit perfectly inside my box.
I lined the boxes with adorable wax paper I bought at Daiso this year and then added a bow....because no gift is complete without a bow.  So....tomorrow these will finally find a home in some of my pals boxes.  There are a few folks in need of some cookie treats.
Glazed Shortbread Cookies
Makes 2 dz 2 inch cookies.
Ingredients for Cookies:  
3/4 c. butter (softened)
1/2 c. powdering sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 c +2 T flour
1/2 c. corn starch
1/4 t. salt
Ingredients for Glaze:
1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 T clear corn syrup
1 T melted butter
2 T warm water
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond flavor
Cookie Instructions:
1.  Mix butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
2.  Add vanilla.
3.  Sift in flour, cornstarch, and salt.
4.  Place in fridge for 30 min-1 hr.
5.  Roll on surface dusted with flour until 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out.
6.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
7.  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  Don't add color to the dough or it will look dull when finished.
8.  Cool before glazing.
Cookie Glaze Instructions:
1.  Mix all ingredients except for water.
2.  Add 1 T of water at a time until glaze is flowing.
3.  Color if desired.
4.  Use a spoon and drizzle over cookies
5.  Let cookies dry and harden for 10 minutes.

No comments